Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Faulkner v. Calvin

As my attempt to read "The Sound and the Fury" stretches into its' second month, I have found that I have lost all motivation to sit down and read.  Not read in general, just this book.  As I forge ahead into the second half of this great American novel, I am astounded by two things.  First, the amazing variety of writing styles that Faulkner employs from page to page and the depth of the world he has created.  It is truly an amazing work of art.  Second, how little I care about it.  Here is the anecdote that prompted me to write this post.  I was staying at my parents' house for a night as my wife had a bunch of girls over for one of her friends' bachelorette party.  I took my Faulkner with me to read before bed, and I set a goal of 30 pages to read that evening.  On the positive side, I did end up reading 30 pages.  On the negative side, those 30 pages were of Calvin and Hobbes.  I can honestly say that I got more enjoyment from my half hour of following Calvin on his adventures to school, learning to ride his bike, arguing with his stuffed tiger, and creating a horrific tableaux of snowman carnage than the hours I have spent slogging through Faulkner.

I am dedicated to finishing "The Sound and the Fury," but it may be a couple more weeks before I do.   A couple of months if I come upon a pile of Calvin and Hobbes books.

1 comment:

  1. I contribute my ability to read to this day to comics like Calvin and Hobbes!

    ReplyDelete